- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 large green or sweet red pepper, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon barbecue seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Cut three 18x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on bottom and up sides of a 3-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine eggs, oats, chopped pepper, onion, soup mix, garlic, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into a 7-in. round loaf. Place loaf in center of strips in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low for 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads at least 160°.
In a small bowl, mix ketchup, brown sugar, barbecue seasoning and mustard; pour over meat loaf and sprinkle with cheese. Cook, covered, on low until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes. Using foil strips as handles, remove meat loaf to a platter.